STARTED IN 1925 – Our 1st President was Mrs. Oscar Neal NAME “The Nashville Women’s Golf Association” 5 ORIGINAL CLUBS (reflected in 1937 directory)
Belle Meade, Oriental, Richland, Shelby & Woodmont
There was an 18 hole flight and a 9 hole flight.
Today we have 14 clubs with Divisions A & B for handicap break @ 17. MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS:
1937 – Membership was open to women golfers in Nashville who are members in good standing of any local club. PURPOSE in 1937 directory:
Stimulate interest in golf among women of Nashville Encourage beginners to take up the game Promote good tournaments Give association members the privilege of playing @ all Nashville clubs.
Changed slightly in 1960 & 1974 with TODAY’S PURPOSE in place since 1979:To give qualified women golfers the opportunity of knowing and playing golf with other qualified golfers in the area and to allow them the privilege of playing at all approved member clubs,To uphold the outstanding image of the women golfers, and To encourage Junior Golfers.
1937 $2 25 cents ball fee & 50 cents caddie fee
2009 – 2015 $30
2016 - Now $40
INTERESTING FACTS: In 1939 – 42 people attended Opening Day. It rained, so they played bingo. “April 1, 1942, the main discussion at the membership meeting was whether or not to continue the association during the war.” It passed to continue, and they voted to give defense stamps or bonds in place of balls for prizes. Jumps to 1945 where a temporary organization had $1 dues with no funds to be used from the regular association. In 1946, they were back to the regular organization. 1947 – NWGA gave $1000 to the State Tournament.